The Ivan Allen Jr. Prize for Social Courage honors Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter for their partnership in a courageous collaboration to improve human rights and alleviate suffering around the world. Over the span of more than five decades, their work has focused on improving health, preventing and resolving conflicts, and enhancing freedom and democracy.
The 2017 Ivan Allen Jr. Prize for Social Courage event serves as a symbol of how the legacy of Mayor Ivan Allen Jr., born in Atlanta, continues to embrace civil and human rights for the nation and the world.
Ivan Allen Jr. Prize for Social Courage Schedule
9:30 a.m. - Doors open, Continental Breakfast will be served
10 a.m. - Welcome, Dr. Rafael L. Bras, Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs
10:15 - 11:45 a.m. - Ivan Allen Jr. Prize Symposium: The Power of Partnerships
Facilitated by: Mr. John Pruitt, Retired anchor, WSB-TV
- Mr. Jason Carter, Partner, Bondurant, Mixson, and Elmore LLP, Chairman of The Carter Center Board of Trustees, and grandson of Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter
- Ambassador (Ret). Mary Ann Peters, Chief Executive Officer, The Carter Center
- Dr. MaryAnne Borrelli, Professor of Government, Connecticut College
- Mr. Jonathan T.M. Reckford, Chief Executive Officer, Habitat for Humanity International
- Ms. Lisa A. Gordon, President and Chief Executive Officer, Atlanta Habitat for Humanity
- Ambassador Andrew J. Young, Former Atlanta Mayor, Politician, Diplomat, and Activist
Noon - 1:15 p.m. - Ivan Allen Jr. Prize for Social Courage Award Luncheon honoring Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter and Former First Lady Rosalynn Carter
1:30 - 2:30 p.m. - Student Town Hall
Due to space constraints this is an invitation-only event. However, the Georgia Tech community and public are welcome to view our live webcast beginning at 10 a.m. Friday, February 17, at www.ivanallenprize.gatech.edu.
Click images in enlarge.